Francesco M. Egro, MD, MSc, MRCS
Integrated Resident- R2
3550 Terrace Street
Scaife Hall, Suite 6B
Dr. Egro was born and raised in Milan, Italy. He pursued his Bachelors of Science with Honors in Microbiology and his Medical Degree from the University of Bristol, United Kingdom.
While only a general medicine and surgery intern in the UK, Dr. Egro passed the exams to become a Member of the Royal College of Surgeons of England and pursued his Masters in Surgical Sciences at the University of Edinburgh. He then served as a research fellow at the Division of Plastic Surgery at Emory University in Atlanta, where he conducted his research on breast oncoplastic surgery. The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh recognized Dr. Egro’s research achievements and awarded him the Lister Medal Prize.
Dr. Egro has trained in Italy, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States to provide him with an internationally diverse academic and scientific background. As of July 1, 2014, Dr. Egro accepted an integrated plastic surgery residency position with the Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
- Lister Medal Prize awarded by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 2013
- Highly Commended Hackett Memorial Prize awarded by the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery in 2011
- Best Clinical Paper Prize awarded by the British Burn Association at the Annual Conference 2010
- Shine! The International Student Award, South West Winner awarded by the British Council in 2010
- Aungshuk Ghosh Prize awarded by the University of Bristol in 2010
- Best Oral Presentation awarded by the Royal Society of Medicine in 2009
- Michele Petrone Prize runner-up awarded by the University of Bristol in 2009
- Erasmus Bursary awarded by the European Commission and the British Council in 2006
Dr. Egro has over 15 published scientific articles and abstracts and over 30 scientific research presentations at regional, national, and international meetings. He is a member of the editorial committee and a reviewer of the journal Plastic and Aesthetic Research, and a reviewer for the journal Burns.