Lino F. Miele, MD, MS
Independent Resident- R6
3550 Terrace Street
Scaife Hall, Suite 668
Lino F. Miele is currently an independent resident in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh. He received his undergraduate degrees in Chemistry and Italian from the University of Pittsburgh and a Master of Science in Biological Sciences from Drexel University. He attended Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University where he received his Medical Degree. He then completed his general surgery training at The Lankenau Medical Center and has been board certified by the American Board of Surgery since 2013. During his general surgery training he was a recipient of a Ruth L. Kirchstein National Research Service Award at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School where he was mentored by Drs. Steven J. Mentzer, MD, FACS and Dennis P. Orgill, MD, PhD, FACS. He investigated morphologic microcirculatory adaptations to inflammation, micromechanical forces and physiologic stress. Specifically, he studied the intussusceptive angiogenic response to perturbation in microcirculatory flow, which led to the implementation of traffic engineering principles to map microcirculatory flow in intravital microscopy. As a visiting Research Fellow at Johannes Gutenberg Universität, Mainz, Germany, under the auspices of Moritz Konerding, MD, he investigated morphologic microcirculatory adaptations to static tensile forces utilizing scanning electron microscopy of corrosion casts. His work was honored with the cover image in the October 2011 issue of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Since 2012, Dr. Miele has been training in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh and is pursuing interests in 3-D stereophotogrammetric volume analysis in plastic surgery. His clinical interests include reconstructive microsurgery of the breast and extremities as well as craniofacial surgery.
Dr. Miele is a member of the American College of Surgeons, the American Society of Plastic Surgery, the Plastic Surgery Research Council, the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery, the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery and the Association for Academic Surgery.
- Robert D. Smink, Jr. Resident Teaching Award, 2012
- Anna Elizabeth Fleer Surgical Research Fellowship, 2009-2010
- Ruth L. Kirchstein Research Service Award, 2007-2009
- Philip and Bella Medoff Prize for Excellence in Internal Medicine, Jefferson Medical College Class of 2005
- Hobart Amory Hare Honor Medical Society Outstanding Service and Leadership Award, Jefferson Medical College, 2005
- American Institute of Chemists Foundation Award, 1999
- Gibney B, Chamoto K, Lee GS, Simpson DC, Miele LF, Tsuda A, Konerding MA, Wagers A, Mentzer SJ, Cross-circulation and Cell Distribution Kinetics in Parabiotic Mice. Journal of Cellular Physiology. February 2012. 227(2): 821-828.
- Miele LF, Erba P, Adini A, Ackermann M, Lamarche JM, Orgill BD, D’Amato RJ, Konerding MA, Mentzer SJ, Orgill DP, A Morphometrical Study of Mechanotransductively Induced Dermal Neovascularization. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. October 2011. 128(4): 288-299.
- Gibney B, Lee GS, Houdek J, Lin M, Miele LF, Chamoto K, Konerding MA, Tsuda A, Mentzer SJ, Dynamic Determination of Oxygenation and Lung Compliance in Murine Pneumonectomy. Experimental Lung Research. June 2011. 37(5):301-309.
- Erba P, Ogawa R, Ackermann M, Adini A, Miele LF, Dastouri P, Helm D, Mentzer SJ, D’Amato RJ, Murphy GF, Konerding MA, Orgill DP, Angiogenesis in Wounds Treated by Microdeformational Wound Therapy. Annals of Surgery. February 2011. 253(2): 402-409.
- Lee GS, Filipovic N, Miele LF, Lin M, Simpson DC, Konerding MA, Tsuda A, Mentzer SJ, Blood Flow Shapes Intravascular Pillar Geometry in the Chick Chorioallantoic Membrane. Journal of Angiogenesis Research. July 7, 2010. 2:11.
- Lee GS, Filipovic N, Milosevic Z, Miele LF, Lin M, Simpson DC, Gibney B, Konerding MA, Tsuda A, Mentzer SJ, Intravascular Flow Fields Shape Intussusceptive Pillars in the Chick Chorioallantoic Membrane. FASEB Journal. April 2010 24:172.3
- Filipovic N, Tsuda A, Lee G, Miele L, Lin M, Tsuda A, Konerding M, Mentzer S. Computational Flow Dynamics in a Geometric Model of Intussusceptive Angiogenesis. Microvascular Research. December 2009; 78: 286-293.
- Miele LF, Lee GS, Lin M, Turhan A, Tsuda A, Konerding MA, Orgill DP, Mentzer SJ. Mesoscopic Traffic Flow Analysis of Platelet Dynamics in Chemically-Induced Murine Colitis. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. September 2009; 209: S13-S13.
- Miele LF, Turhan A, Lee GS, Lin M, Ravnic D, Tsuda A, Konerding MA, Mentzer SJ. Blood Flow Patterns Spatially Associated with Platelet Aggregates in Murine Colitis. The Anatomical Record. July 2009; 293: 1143-1153.
- Turhan A, Lin M, Lee G, Miele L, Tsuda A, Konerding M, Mentzer S. Vascular Microarchitecture of Murine Colitis-Associated Lymphoid Angiogenesis. The Anatomical Record. April 2009; 292: 621-632.
- Miele LF, Lee GS, Lin M, Turhan A, Zeng T, Tsuda A, Konerding MA, Orgill DP, Mentzer SJ. Mesoscopic Traffic Flow Theory Characterizes Microhemodynamics in Chemically-Induced Murine Colitis. Journal of Surgical Research. Feb 2009; 151: 295.
- Lee G, Miele L, Lin M, Ravnic D, Konerding M, Orgill D, Mentzer S. Quasi-polygonal plexus is the Dominant Site of Structural Adaptations in Murine Colitis. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 12 Oct 2008; 207: S14.
- Lee G, Miele L, Turhan A, Miao L, Konerding M, Mentzer S. Spatial Calibration of Structured Illumination Fluorescence Microscopy Using Capillary Tissue Phantoms. Microscopy Research Technique, 20 Oct 2008; 72: 85-92.
- Turhan A, Tsuda A, Konerding M, Lin M, Miele L, Lee G, Mentzer S. Effect of Intraluminal Pillars on Particle Motion in Bifurcated Microchannels. In Vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology. 20 Sept 2008; 44: 426-433.
- Miele L, Uribe A, "Vascular Tools," SURGERY: A Competency-Based Companion, Mann, Elsevier 2008.
- Miele L, Eschelman D, McNulty S, Choudry R, Rodriguez E, Diehl J, Marelli D. Successful Aortic Fenestration To Treat Prolonged Motor Paralysis Of The Lower Extremities After Repair Of Type A Aortic Dissection. Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Aug 2005; 130: 599 - 601.
- Miele L, Spying the Light: A Student Reflects on His Experiences. Jefferson Medical College Alumni Bulletin. March 2004; 7.