Paul N. Afrooz, MD
Scaife Hall, Suite 6B
3550 Terrace Street
Dr. Afrooz earned his Bachelor of Science from Cornell University and his medical degree from The Chicago Medical School. During medical school, he pursued research interests as a member of the Wound Healing Lab at the University of California San Francisco under the guidance of Thomas K. Hunt, MD. Following graduation from medical school, Dr. Afrooz completed a research fellowship at the Starzl Transplant Institute at the University of Pittsburgh under the mentorship of W.P. Andrew Lee, MD. He is currently a resident in the Integrated Program of UPMC’s Department of Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Afrooz is a founding member of the American Society for Reconstructive Transplant Surgery, and is a resident member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, American Society of Maxillofacial Surgery, and the American Cleft Palate –Craniofacial Association.
- 2007 Dean’s Award for Outstanding Contribution to The Chicago Medical School
- 2008 Best Overall Paper, Robert H. Ivy Society of Plastic Surgeons
- 2008 Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Basic Research Grant, Principal Investigator
- 2008 Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, National Endowment for Plastic Surgery, Co-Investigator
- 2009 Plastic Surgery Educational Foundation, Basic Research Grant, Co-Investigator
- Guyuron B, and Afrooz PN. Management of the cocaine nose: In: Gunter, JP, Rohrich, RJ, Adams, WP. eds. Dallas Rhinoplasty: Nasal Surgery by the Masters, 2nd Edition. Quality Medical Publishing. 2007: 1285-98.
- Guyuron B, and Afrooz PN. Correction of cocaine-related nasal defects:Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 121: 1015, 2008.
- Afrooz PN, and Gorantla VS. Blepharoplasty, laser in situ keratomileusis, and the blunted corneal reflex arc: Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 121: 1506, 2008.
- Unadkat JV, Schneeberger S, Goldbach C, Solari MG, Washington KM, Afrooz PN, Pulikkottil BJ, Zheng XX, Lee WP. Investigation of antibody-mediated rejection in composite tissue allotransplantation in a rat limb transplant model. Transplantation Proceedings. 41(2): 542, 2009.
- Washington KM, Zanoun RR, Cadogan KA, Afrooz PN, Losee JE. Composite tissue allotransplantation for the reconstruction of congenital craniofacial defects. Transplantation Proceedings. 41(2): 523, 2009.
- Afrooz PN, Grunwaldt LJ, Zanoun RR, Grubbs RK, Saladino RA, Losee JE, Zuckerbraun NS. Pediatric facial fractures: occurrence of concussion and relation to fracture patterns. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 23(5): 1270, 2012.
- Unadkat JV, Bourbeau D, Afrooz PN, Solar MG, Washington KM, Pulikkottil BJ, Weber DJ, Lee WP. Functional outcomes following multiple acute rejections in experimental vascularized composite allotransplantation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 131(5): 720, 2013.
- Afrooz PN, MacIsaac Z, Rottgers SA, Ford M, Grunwaldt, LJ, Kumar AR. A comparison of speech outcomes using radical intravelar veloplasty or furlow palatoplasty for the treatment of velopharyngeal insufficiency associated with occult submucous cleft palate. Annals of Plastic Surgery. September 2013.
- Guyuron B, and Afrooz PN. Management of the Cocaine Nose: In: Rohrich, RJ, Adams WP, Ahmad J. eds. Dallas Rhinoplasty: Nasal Surgery by the Masters, 3rd Edition. Quality Medical Publishing. 2014.
- Afrooz PN, Amirlak B. Digital imaging and standardized photography in rhinoplasty: In: Rohrich, RJ, Adams WP, Ahmad J. eds. Dallas Rhinoplasty: Nasal Surgery by the Masters, 3rd Edition. Quality Medical Publishing. 2014.