Charles A. Karcutskie IV, MD, MA
Charlie grew up outside of Scranton, PA. He was a four sport athlete growing up, playing football, wrestling, hockey, and track and field. He obtained his undergraduate degree at the University of Pittsburgh, with majors in chemistry and philosophy of science and minors in physics and conceptual foundations of medicine. He then earned a master’s degree in biology prior to returning home to Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine in his home town of Scranton for medical school. Afterwards, he finished his general surgery residency at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital, including two productive years of research in the Department of Trauma, Surgical Critical Care, and Burns, where he earned multiple regional and national awards. During this time, he married his wife, Shireen, and they had their son, Charlie V. He finally made his way back to Pittsburgh to the Department of Plastic Surgery to continue his training.
My plan was always to return to Pittsburgh. The plastic surgery program is among the best in the country, it is close to my family, and the city is a great place to raise a family. The people here are incredible and know the importance of balancing work and family. It was an easy choice.
- 2017 Association of Veteran’s Affairs Surgeons Annual Meeting Best Overall Clinical Presentation – Second Place
- 2017 Association of Veteran’s Affairs Surgeons Annual Meeting American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition – First Place
- 2018 Association of Veteran’s Affairs Surgeons Annual Meeting American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition – Second Place
- 2017 American College of Surgeons Florida Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition – Second Place
- 2016 Association of Veteran’s Affairs Surgeons Annual Meeting American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition – First Place
- 2017 Robert Zeppa, MD Resident Research Award – First Place
summary or key publications with pubmed link
Charlie has over 20 published peer reviewed scientific articles and over 60 scientific research presentations at regional and national meetings, winning multiple awards.
Areas of Interest
General plastic surgery, maxillofacial surgery, aesthetic surgery