Hakan Orbay, MD, PhD
Dr. Orbay is originally from Ankara, Turkey. He graduated from Hacettepe University School of Medicine in Turkey and came to US after completing a PhD degree in Tokyo, Japan. He finished his general surgery training at University of Maryland Medical Center and Crozer Chester Medical Center, and joined the Department of Plastic Surgery in 2022 as an independent track resident. He is hoping to become a surgeon-scientist and continue his research on adipose derived stem cells in the future.
I chose University of Pittsburgh Plastic Surgery Program because of it is reputation as one of the best plastic surgery programs in the US. The research environment, with a focus on adipose derived stem cell research, provides plenty of opportunities. Residents also get to see a wide range of operations during their training
- Japanese Government Monbugakakusho Scholarship
- ICAT – Best Paper Award, Florence, Italy
- SNMMI Cardiovascular Council Young Investigator Award, 3rd place
- ACS Northern California Chapter Thomas R. Russell, Resident Research Award, 1st place
- UC Davis Plastic Surgery Academic Day Resident and Fellow Research Award, 1st place
- CSPS Annual Meeting Best Overall Presentation Award
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons Meeting, Best Scientific Presentation
- Intern of the Year, University of Maryland General Surgery Program
- Best Experimental Paper of the Year Award, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journal
- Administrative Chief Resident, Crozer Chester Medical Center General Surgery Program
- Drexel College of Medicine Discovery Day Outstanding Clinical Resident/Fellow Poster, 2nd Place
- Jameson L. Chassin, Award for Professionalism in Surgery, top 10 finalist
- Resident of the Year Award, Crozer Chester Medical Center
Full list available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/hakan.orbay.1/bibliography/public/
- Orbay H, Hinchcliff KM, Charvet HJ, Sahar DE. Fat Graft Safety after Oncologic Surgery: Addressing the Contradiction between In Vitro and Clinical Studies. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Dec;142(6):1489-1499. doi:10.1097/PRS.0000000000004992. PubMed PMID: 30489524.
- Harvestine JN, Orbay H, Chen JY, Sahar DE, Leach JK. Cell-secreted extracellular matrix, independent of cell source, promotes the osteogenic differentiation of human stromal vascular fraction. J Mater Chem B. 2018 Jun 28;6(24):4104-4115. doi: 10.1039/C7TB02787G. Epub 2018 May 29. PubMed PMID:30505446; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6261520.
- Orbay H, Khor D, Xu C, Steiner G, Nagarsheth KH, Monahan TS, Toursavadkohi S. A Unique Bailout Method for the Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurism with a Narrow Iliac Bifurcation. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 Aug;59:311.e11-311.e15. doi:10.1016/j.avsg.2018.12.096. Epub 2019 Feb 23. PubMed PMID: 30802584.
- Asserson DB, Kulinich AG, Orbay H, Sahar DE. Differences in Complication Rates of Gluteoplasty Procedures That Utilize Autologous Fat Grafting, Implants, or Local Flaps. Ann Plast Surg. 2019 May;82(5S Suppl 4):S342-S344. doi:10.1097/SAP.0000000000001765. PubMed PMID: 30570567.
- Orbay H, Khor D, Xu C, Steiner G, Nagarsheth KH, Monahan TS, Toursavadkohi S. A Unique Bailout Method for the Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurism with a Narrow Iliac Bifurcation. Ann Vasc Surg. 2019 Feb 23. pii: S0890-5096(19)30174-8. doi:10.1016/j.avsg.2018.12.096. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 30802584.
- Asserson DB, Orbay H, Sahar DE. Review of the Pathways Involved in the Osteogenic Differentiation of Adipose-Derived Stem Cells. J Craniofac Surg. 2019 May/Jun;30(3):703-708. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000005447. PubMed PMID: 30839467.
- Endicott KM, Drucker CB, Orbay H, DuBose JJ, Nagarsheth K, Toursavadkohi S, Sarkar R. Intraoperative Fragmentation and Retention of Endovascular Devices: Clinical Consequences and Preventative Strategies. Vasc Endovascular Surg. 2020 Feb;54(2):118-125. doi: 10.1177/1538574419886193. Epub 2019 Nov 5. PubMed PMID: 31690248.
- Hinchcliff KM, Orlowski T, Orbay H, Hogan F, Grayson K, Sahar DE. Comparison of wound strength, histologic, and aesthetic outcomes after microsurgical versus conventional skin closure in a rat model. J Plast Surg Hand Surg. 2019 Dec;53(6):381-386. doi: 10.1080/2000656X.2019.1647850. Epub 2019 Aug 2. PubMed PMID: 31373251.
- Sahajwani S, Orbay H, Santini R, Ucuzian A, Nagarsheth K. Transpedal Laser Atherectomy via a Communicating Branch to Treat Tibial Artery Chronic Total Occlusions. Am Surg. 2019 Sep 1;85(9):e436-e438. PubMed PMID: 31638529.
- Ge S, Ngaage LM, Orbay H, Silverman RP, Rasko YM, Rada EM. Surgical Management of Pediatric Hidradenitis Suppurativa: A Case Series and Review of the Literature. Ann Plast Surg. 2020 Jan 6. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002195. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31913903.
Areas of Interest
- Adipose-derived stem cells
- Childhood vascular anomalies and hemangiomas
- Reconstructive surgery