Ian Chow, MD
Ian Chow completed his undergraduate studies at Northwestern University as a member of the Honors Program in Medical Education graduating cum laude with a degree in Economics. He then matriculated to the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine where he graduated summa cum laude and magna cum laude in scientia experimentali. During his medical education, he served as a research fellow at Northwestern University under the mentorship of Thomas A. Mustoe, MD and Robert G. Galiano, MD; where he pursued basic science research interests in the dynamics of wound healing and the development of decellularized muscle scaffolds for tissue engineering. He also worked closely with John Y.S. Kim, MD on clinical outcomes research where he gained a broad depth in statistical analysis and outcomes research.
The University of Pittsburgh Department of Plastic Surgery appealed to Dr. Chow’s desire to work with a large Plastic Surgery Department with a large clinical faculty with diverse clinical and research interests. He was ecstatic to begin his surgical training at the highly collegial and academic Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh starting July 1, 2016.
Dr. Chow’s awards and honors include:
- Robert H. Ivy Pennsylvania Plastic Surgery Society Annual Meeting Top Three Poster Selection 2017.
- James Barret Brown Award for Best Plastic Surgery Paper Nominee at the American Association of Plastic Surgeons 2016.
- Summa cum laude 2016.
- Magna cum laude in scientia experimentali 2016.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society 2016.
- Phi Rho Sigma Dennis Award 2015.
- Julius Conn Jr., MD Award 2015.
- American College of Physicians Award 2014.
- NIH/NINDS Exceptional Student Award 2011.
Dr. Chow has published over 15 peer-reviewed manuscripts and has had over 25 scientific research presentations at regional, national, and international conferences.