Isaac James, MD
Dr. James earned his Bachelor of Science in Biology and Master of Science in Exercise Physiology from West Virginia University. He earned his M.D. from the University of Pittsburgh. After graduation, he completed a two-year research fellowship in the Adipose Stem Cell Research Laboratory at Pitt under the mentorship of Dr. J. Peter Rubin and Dr. Kacey Marra. His research focuses on wound healing, bioengineering, adipose stem cell biology, and fat grafting. He is currently a resident in the Integrated Program in UPMC’s Department of Plastic Surgery.
Pitt was my top choice for residency training because it is one of the only plastic surgery training programs in the world that has extensive top tier basic science and clinical research which is combined with a robust, high volume clinical experience. During my research fellowship, I found that there was a high degree of camaraderie within the department, and the academic environment was extraordinarily collaborative. The faculty are also very supportive and are actively involved in pioneering improvements in resident training.
- 1st place basic science paper at the OVSPS meeting in 2016
- 2nd place basic science paper at the Ivy Society meeting in 2015
- James IB, Coleman SR, Rubin JP. Fat Grafting for Scar Treatment. In: Krakowski AC, Shumaker PR, eds. The Scar Book: Formation, Mitigation, Rehabilitation, and Prevention. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2017: Chapter 15.
- James IB, Coleman SR, Rubin JP. Fat, Stem Cells, and Platelet-Rich Plasma. Clinics in Plastic Surgery. 2016. In Press. doi:10.1016/j.cps.2016.03.017
- Ding X, Nguyen M, James I, Marra K, Rubin JP, Leers SA, Kim K. Improved Estimation of Ultrasound Thermal Strain Using Pulse Inversion Harmonic Imaging. Ultrasound Med Biol. 2016;42(5):1182-1192. doi:10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2016.01.007.
- Bourne D, James I, Wang S, Marra K, Rubin JP. The Architecture of Fat Grafting: What Lies beneath the Surface. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016;137(3):1072-1079. doi:10.1097/01.prs.0000479992.10986.ad.
- Liao HT, James IB, Marra KG, Rubin JP. The Effects of Platelet-rich Plasma on Cell Proliferation and Adipogenic Potential of Adipose-derived Stem Cells. Tissue Eng Part A. 2015:1-32. doi:10.1089/ten.TEA.2015.0159.
- Afrooz PN, Shakir S, James IB, Rubin JP, Gusenoff JA. Dynamics of Gluteal Cleft Morphology in Lower Body Lift: Predictors of Unfavorable Outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015;136(6):1167. doi:10.1097/PRS.0000000000001775.
- Lannau B, Bliley J, James IB, Wang S, Sivak W, Kang K, Johnson J, Fowler J Spiess A. Long-term Patency of Primary Arterial Repair and the Modified Cold Intolerance Symptom Severity Questionnaire. Plast Reconstr Surg – Glob Open. 2015;3(11):e551. doi:10.1097/GOX.0000000000000522.
- Afrooz PN, Bykowski M, James IB, Daniali LN, Clavijo-Alvarez JA. The Epidemiology of Mandibular Fractures in the United States, Part 1: A Review of 13,142 Cases from the US National Trauma Data Bank. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 May 11. pii: S0278-2391(15)00492-9. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2015.04.032.
- James I, Farrell D, Evans A, Siska P, and Tarkin I. Open Reconstruction of Complex Proximal Metadiaphyseal Fragility Fractures of the Humerus. Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation. 2014 Mar;5(1):9-13. doi: 10.1177/2151458514520701.
- Konat GW, Borysiewicz E, Fil D, James I. Peripheral challenge with double-stranded RNA elicits global up-regulation of cytokine gene expression in the brain. J Neurosci Res. 2009;87(6):1381-1388. doi:10.1002/jnr.21958.
- Konat GW, Kraszpulski M, James I, Zhang HT, Abraham J. Cognitive dysfunction induced by chronic administration of common cancer chemotherapeutics in rats. Metab Brain Dis. 2008;23(3):325-333. doi:10.1007/s11011-008-9100-y.
In addition, Dr. James has given more than 30 presentations at regional, national, and international conferences for which he has won several awards.