Linden Head completed undergraduate studies in Kinesiology and Life Sciences at Queen’s University (2004 – 2008) where he was the gold medalist. He then matriculated to the Richard Ivey School of Business where he completed a degree in Business Administration (2008 – 2010). After working for two years in management consulting with the Boston Consulting Group (2010 – 2012), Linden transitioned to medicine and completed medical school at the University of Ottawa (2012 – 2016). He then went on to complete his training in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Ottawa (2016 – 2021). Upon graduation Linden was awarded the Dr. A. Ross Tilley Scholarship, which is a national award given to a single graduating Canadian plastic surgery resident for exemplary academic achievements and humanitarian contributions.
Linden will be completing fellowship training in Hand and Upper Extremity Surgery at the University of Pittsburgh (2021 – 2022) and in Orthoplastic and Limb Salvage Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania (2022 – 2023).
Linden has an interest in international development and global health. He was actively involved in pro bono consulting work with Right to Play (2009 – 2010) as well as in the Cambodian microfinance sector (2009 – 2010). Most recently, Linden completed the fellowship program with the Operation Smile Regan Resident Leadership Program (2020 – 2021).
Outside of medicine, Linden has an interest in photography, endurance sports, travel, and mountaineering – his most recent travel was to New Zealand and his favorite destination is the Cordillera Blanca in Peru. Linden hopes to return to Canada to practice where he will join his wife Samantha, his daughter Sawyer, and his Weimaraner Zephyr.
I was drawn to University of Pittsburgh and the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) because it is a world-renowned center of excellence for hand and upper extremity surgery.
- Dr. A. Ross Tilley Scholarship (2021): National award given to a single graduating Canadian plastic surgery resident for exemplary academic achievements and humanitarian contributions.
- Guardian Angel Award (2019 – 2020): Patient-nominated award for delivering extraordinary care (3 awards).
- Department of Surgery Resident Recognition Award (2020): Resident demonstrating clinical expertise, superb technical skills, compassion, and teamwork.
- Professionalism Award (2020): Resident demonstrating exemplary professionalism.
- Collaborator Award (2019): Resident demonstrating exemplary collaboration.
- Stanley Labow Research Award (2019): Top overall scientific presentation.
- Best Scientific Paper – Group for the Advancement of Microsurgery (GAM) Canada (2018): Top overall scientific presentation
- Ontario Medical Association (OMA) Medical Student Achievement Award (2016): Significant political and community contributions – awarded annually by the OMA to one student from each Ontario medical school.
- Outstanding Performance Award – Surgery (2015): Top-performing student in Surgery.
- Outstanding Performance Award – Family Medicine (2015): Top-performing student in Family Medicine.
- Professionalism Award (2014): MD candidate demonstrating exemplary professionalism.
- Ontario Medical Students Association (OMSA) Medical Student of the Month (2014): Ontario MD candidate with exceptional accomplishments.
- Ivey Scholar (2008 – 2010): Academic standing in the top 10% in both years of study.
- Joan and Geno Francolini Award (2008): Student demonstrating personal and academic excellence.
- Gold Medal (2008): Graduating student with highest overall academic standing in the Bachelor of Physical and Health Education program.
- Canadian Society in Exercise Physiology (CSEP/SCPE) Undergrad Award (2008): Graduating student with highest standing in the Bachelor of Physical and Health Education science curriculum.
- Dean’s Honour List with Distinction (2004 – 2008): Average in the top 3% of the Bachelor of Physical and Health Education program.
- Stephen J. Hobbs Award (2006): Significant contribution to intramural sports and student government.
- Reuben Wells Leonard (2006): Highest academic standing entering third-year of Bachelor of Physical and Health Education program.
- Physical and Health Education ‘75 Book Prize (2005): Highest academic standing entering second-year of Bachelor of Physical and Health Education program.
- Head L, Zhang Z, Hicks K, Hadley L, Van Gool C, Wolff G, Boyd KU. REPLY: Evaluation of intrinsic hand musculature reinnervation following supercharged end-to-side anterior interosseous to ulnar motor nerve transfer. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2021;148(3):500e-501e. DOI: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000008248.
- Head L, Médor M, Karir A, Wolff G, Boyd KU. Impact of body mass index and comorbidities on outcomes in upper extremity nerve transfers. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2021;37(9):713-719. DOI: 10.1055/s-0041-1726030.
- Head L, Lui A, Cordeiro E, Boyd KU. National multidisciplinary survey of regional anesthesia preferences in breast reconstruction. Plastic Surgery. 2020;28(2):105-111. DOI: 10.1177/2292550320925551.
- Head L, Zhang Z, Hicks K, Wolff G, Boyd KU. Evaluation of intrinsic hand musculature reinnervation following supercharged end-to-side anterior interosseous to ulnar motor nerve transfer. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2020;146(1):128-132. DOI: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000006903.
- Laschuk M, Head L, Roumeliotis G, Xuan L, Silverman H. The rule of thirds: determining the ideal areolar proportions. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery Open. 2019;23:55-59. DOI: 10.1016/j.jpra.2019.11.001.
- Head L, Momtazi M. Economics of lymphovenous bypass. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2019;144(5):751e-759e. DOI: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000006118.
- Head L, Greene B, Gawad N, Hamstra SJ, Brandys T. Harvesting the ‘SEAD’: Long-term follow-up of the Surgical Exploration and Discovery Program. Journal of Surgical Education. 2019;S1931-7204(19)30328-9. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2019.07.012.
- Head L, Hicks K, Wolff G, Boyd KU. Clinical outcomes of nerve transfers in peroneal nerve palsy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2019;35(1):57-65. DOI: 10.1055/s-0038-1667047.
- Head L, Wolff G, Boyd KU. Reinnervation of extrinsic finger flexors and brachioradialis 22 and 36 months following traumatic pan-brachial plexopathy: a case report. Journal of Hand Surgery – Asian-Pacific Volume. 2019;24(1):118-122. DOI: 10.1142/S2424835519720081.
- Gawad N, Head L, McGuire C, Gangemi A, Garland K, Sorouri K, Lachapelle A, Rutka J. Branches of the ‘SEAD’: sustained and feasible expansion of the Surgical Exploration and Discovery Program. Journal of Surgical Research. 2019;235:315-321. DOI: 10.1016/j.jss.2018.10.014.
- Head L, Bradley R, Momtazi M. Tenosynovial chondromatosis of the wrist presenting with acute carpal tunnel syndrome: a case report. Journal of Hand Surgery and Rehabilitation. 2018;37(2):117-120. DOI: 10.1016/j.hansur.2018.01.001.
- Head L, Xuan L, Boyd KU, Peters D. Anomalous extratemporal facial nerve in Oculoauriculovertebral Spectrum. The Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Journal. 2018;55(5):769-772. DOI: 10.1177/1055665618756707.
- Head L, Lui A, Boyd KU. Efficacy and safety of bilateral thoracic paravertebral blocks in outpatient breast surgery. The Breast Journal. 2018;24(4):561-566. DOI: 10.1111/tbj.13008.
- Head L, McKay D. Economic comparison of hand-sutured and coupler-assisted microvascular anastomoses. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery. 2018;34(01):71-76. DOI: 10.1055/s-0037-1606540.
- Head L, Nessim C, Arnaout A, Boyd KU. Innovative model to optimize resource utilization and improve access to care for high-risk/BRCA+ breast cancer patients. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2017;60(1):37-44. DOI: 10.1503/cjs.001116.
- Nguyen LN, Head L, Witiuk K, Punjani N, Mallick R, Cnossen S, Fergusson DA, Cagiannos I, Lavallée LT, Morash C, Breau RH. The risks and benefits of cavernous neurovascular bundle sparing during radical prostatectomy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Urology. 2017;198(4):760-769. DOI: 10.1016/j.juro.2017.02.3344.
- Head L, Greene B, Seabrook C, Gawad N, Brandys T, Hamstra SJ. Growing the ‘SEAD’: expansion of the Surgical Exploration and Discovery Program. Journal of Surgical Education. 2016;73(1):101-10. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsurg.2015.08.001.
- Head L, Gencarelli JR, Allen M, Boyd KU. Wrist ganglion treatment: systematic review and meta-analysis. The Journal of Hand Surgery. 2015;40(3):546-553.e8. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhsa.2014.12.014.
- Head L, Allen M, Boyd KU. Long-Term patient outcomes following wrist ganglion aspiration. Plastic Surgery. 2015;23(1):51-53. PMID: 25821775.
- Greene B, Head L, Gawad N, Hamstra SJ, McLean L. Surgical Exploration and Discovery Program: inaugural involvement of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. Journal of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. 2015;44(1):3. DOI: 10.1186/s40463-015-0059-5.
Areas of Interest
Linden’s clinical interests are hand and peripheral nerve surgery as well as Orthoplastic and limb salvage surgery.