Michael Sung-Min Hu, MD, MPH
Dr. Michael Hu grew up on the sunny beaches of Southern California. He earned a B.S. in Biochemistry with Computing Specialization from the University of California, Los Angeles, and a M.S. in Physiology and Biophysics from Georgetown University. He then received a joint M.D./M.P.H. from New York Medical College, during which he underwent a fellowship at the National Institutes of Health Clinical Research Training Program. He subsequently attended the University of Hawaii for general surgery residency training and Stanford University for a post-doctoral research fellowship in the Hagey Laboratory for Pediatric Regenerative Medicine under the mentorship of Dr. Michael T. Longaker and Dr. H. Peter Lorenz. At Stanford, Dr. Hu was extremely privileged to work with distinguished faculty on exciting research aimed at solving important, unanswered questions in plastic surgery. This experience led him to pursue training in plastic and reconstructive surgery.
Dr. Hu was immediately drawn to UPMC by the renowned faculty and their mission to train leaders in plastic surgery. He was impressed with the collegiality among faculty and residents at a strong academic program with diverse clinical and research experiences making UPMC his top choice for training. Also, he just wanted to be part of the Pitt “family”!
- Young Investigator Finalist, The Symposium on Advanced Wound Care/Wound Healing Society, 2018
- Editor’s Choice – Wound Healing, Science Translational Medicine, 2017
- Top Paper Presentations, Plastic Surgery The Meeting 2016 in Los Angeles, 2016
- RAS Spotlight, Resident and Associate Society of the American College of Surgeons (RAS-ACS), 2016
- Young Investigator Award, The Symposium on Advanced Wound Care/Wound Healing Society, 2016
- Best United States Paper Award, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2015
- Best Scientific Poster of Exceptional Merit, American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, 2015
- Scientific Posters of Exceptional Merit, American College of Surgeons Clinical Congress, 2015
- Young Investigator Award, The Symposium on Advanced Wound Care/Wound Healing Society, 2015
- Biomaterials and Advanced Drug Delivery Award, Stanford University School of Medicine, 2015
- Young Investigator Trainee Travel Award, The Symposium on Advanced Wound Care/Wound Healing Society, 2014
- Anna Samartzis Basic Science Research Award, 8th Annual Louis R.M. DelGuercio, M.D. Lectureship & Research Day, 2009
- Clinical Research Training Program Fellow Award, National Institutes of Health, 2008-2009
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Science and Technology Enrichment Program, 2007
- Outstanding Teacher Award, Science and Technology Enrichment Program, 2006
- Summer Clinical/Research Fellowship Award, New York Medical College, 2006
- Honorable Mention, 10th Annual Medical Student Research Forum, 2006
- Dean’s Honors List, University of California, Los Angeles, 1999-2003
- Scholarship Award, Medtronic Foundation, 1999-2003
Dr. Hu has published over 90 manuscripts in top peer-reviewed journals and textbooks, such as Science, Sabiston Textbook of Surgery, and Plastic Surgery. He has also presented over 100 abstracts at local, regional, national, and international conferences.