Paula Gravina Martinez, MD
2022-23 Microvascular Fellow
Dr. Gravina Martinez graduated from the Medical School at Universidade Federal da Bahia in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. She developed an interest in Reconstructive Plastic Surgery early in school and was involved with the Academic League of Plastic Surgery for four years, leading as the President between the years of 2011-2012. After graduating from medical school, she moved to Houston, TX in 2014 to do clinical research at Baylor College of Medicine and subsequently joined their integrated plastic surgery residency in which she completed a wide variety of cases and developed her passion for microvascular reconstruction.
Among all the well-established microvascular fellowships, Pitt is one of the largest academic plastic surgery departments in the country. UPMC microvascular fellowship has one of the greatest variety of cases and volume of cases per fellow as well as an incredible team of staff, nationally and internationally known experts. Besides that, the “Pitt plastic surgery family” concept in which you really feel valued, and part of a team is one of the strongest features that attracted me to UPMC.
Dr. Gravina Martinez has been primary or contributing author on several published scientific manuscripts and has participated and presented at national and international meetings. Here is a list of recent publications:
- Skochdopole, Anna J. M.D.; Mentz, James A. B.A.; Gravina, Paula M.D.; Winocour, Sebastian J. M.D.; Reece, Edward M. M.D. Maximizing Volume from the Medial Thigh: Introducing the PUG Flap, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: August 2021 – Volume 148 – Issue 2 – p 329e-331e doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000008161
- Raghuram, Anjali C. B.A.; Asaad, Malke M.D.; Gravina, Paula R. M. D.; Selber, Jesse C. M.D., M.P.H., M.H.C.M The Role of Four Pinwheeled Rhomboid Flaps for a 100-cm2 Defect of the Scalp Vertex, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: August 2021 – Volume 148 – Issue 2 – p 341e-342e doi: 10.1097/PRS. 0000000000008179
- Gravina PR, Chang DK, Mentz JA, Dibbs RP, Maricevich M. Sternal defect reconstruction using a double-barrel vascularized free fibula flap: a case report. Arch Plast Surg. 2021; 48(5):498-502.
- Nilmar G Bandeira, MD, MSc, Marcus Vinícius V S Barroso, MD, MSc, Marcos Antônio A Matos, MD, PhD, Alexandre L M Filho, MD, Adson A Figueredo, MD, MSc, Paula R Gravina, MD, Sibele O T Klein, PhD, Serum albumin concentration on admission as a predictor of morbidity and mortality in patients with burn injuries, Journal of Burn Care & Research, 2021;, irab004, https://doi.org/10.1093/jbcr/irab004
- Gravina PR, Pettit RW, Davis MJ, Winocour SJ, Selber JC. Evidence for the Use of Acellular Dermal Matrix in Implant-Based Breast Reconstruction. Semin Plast Surg. 2019 Nov;33(4):229-235. doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1696986. Epub 2019 Oct 17. PMID: 31632205; PMCID: PMC6797488
- Srinivasa DR, Miranda RN, Kaura A, Francis AM, Campanale A, Boldrini R, Alexander J, Deva AK, Gravina PR, Medeiros LJ, Nast K, Butler CE, Clemens MW. Global Adverse Event Reports of Breast Implant-Associated ALCL: An International Review of 40 Government Authority Databases. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 May;139(5):1029-1039. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000003233. PMID: 28157770
Areas of Interest
Wound healing, complex reconstruction, microvascular surgery and facial reconstruction